[PnP] Magic spell project

Scott Adams longshotgm at netzero.com
Fri Feb 24 22:25:31 CET 2012

  Finally finished up my clean up on the magic project.  Back in
  2004 when Richard and me worked on the v2 spells I did this
  project to make life esay.  Over the years errata and emails
  back and forthed allowed me to make changes.  Not sure if
  you guys are interested but here are some of the highlights from
  the changes.  I think (not sure) Wout posted the first version
  of the poject on the website. But I have to look...

  Project consists of :
    * B2magic.txt - v2 summary of spells.  This is a expert mode of
      the book 2 spells.  It assumes one knows the spells already.
      It basically is a very summed up version of the spells.  Instead
      of 30 lines of text it might have 1 line of just the vital info.
      Then any important/optonal rules and the basic formulae.  This
      way one can just print out and cut/paste what is needed rather
      than finding what is in a pdf or other file.  It is a pure
      text file for easy and quick editing.  File only has the
      v2 approved (Richard) spells.  It does have some spells missing
      from it but this is in another file.  File size: 118k.
      Total spells: 118

    * Spellsug.txt - File on comments on magic system and spells. It
      was part of the list at one point and sent to Richard. He replied
      to bulk of them an answered them.  But many never was handled. I
      keep these comments so I can reference it in case players need
      to suggest or argue over points.  It has 107 suggestions and
      comments.

    * Altmagic.txt - File contains most of the alternative spells.
      These tend to be oriented in variants or single documents
      not the core rules.  However some are now part of the v2 system
      like the Priesthood.  I placed the stuff here because at
      the time v2 hadn't finished.  So really some of the spells in
      this file are in the v2 core rules.  This file has all the various
      sub spells and personal spells out there.  It also has a lot of
      the variants or suggestions to the listed spells. Here is a snippet
      of the table of contents:
                                          Spell #      Spell Total
   A) Elder Priest Spells                119-121           3
   B) New Illusion Powers                122-123           2
   C) New Spells [Errata]                124-125           2
   D) Priesthood Spells - Basic          126-131           6
   E) Priesthood - Urigallu              132-136           5
   F) Priesthood - Ashipu/Qadishtu Mah   137-150          14
   G) Priesthood - Mashmashu                -              - *
   H) Priesthood - Baru                  151-156           6
   I) Priesthood - Qadishtu / Kalu       157-161           5
   J) Priesthood - Tariti (Allani)       162-186          25
   K) New Spells - Others                187-202          16

   Variants/Changes to Spells
    1) Elf Shot Variant [Casting] [Unknown author]
    2) Calm Sea Change            [Richard Snider]
    3) Creation Change            [Charles S Remis & Margaret M Lasater]
    4) Darkness Damage Change     [Charles S Remis & Margaret M Lasater]
    5) Destruction Change         [Charles S Remis & Margaret M Lasater]
    6) Earthquake Change          [Charles S Remis & Margaret M Lasater]
    7) Transoport Change          [Charles S Remis & Margaret M Lasater]
    8) Elemental Powers Change    [Charles S Remis & Margaret M Lasater]
    9) Elf Shot Change            [Charles S Remis & Margaret M Lasater]
   10) Fascination Change         [Charles S Remis & Margaret M Lasater]
   11) Forgetfulness Change       [Charles S Remis & Margaret M Lasater]
   12) Heailng Light Change       [Charles S Remis & Margaret M Lasater]
   13) Fire Darts Change          [Charles S Remis & Margaret M Lasater]
   14) Invulnerability Change     [Charles S Remis & Margaret M Lasater]
   15) Killing Light Change       [Charles S Remis & Margaret M Lasater]
   16) Might Change               [Charles S Remis & Margaret M Lasater]
   17) Permanent Magic Change     [Charles S Remis & Margaret M Lasater]
   18) Purification Change        [Charles S Remis & Margaret M Lasater]
   19) Friendly Current Change    [Charles S Remis & Margaret M Lasater]
   20) Water Breathing Change     [Charles S Remis & Margaret M Lasater]
   21) Shape Changing Change      [Charles S Remis & Margaret M Lasater]
   22) Perpetual Trance Change    [Charles S Remis & Margaret M Lasater]
   23) Sleep Mist Change          [Charles S Remis & Margaret M Lasater]
   24) Sleep Touch Change         [Charles S Remis & Margaret M Lasater]
   25) Speed Change               [Charles S Remis & Margaret M Lasater]
   26) Thunderhead Change         [Charles S Remis & Margaret M Lasater]
   27) Sweeten Water Change       [Charles S Remis & Margaret M Lasater]
   28) Mind Burn Change:          [Charles S Remis & Margaret M Lasater]
   30) Transmutation Change       [Charles S Remis & Margaret M Lasater]
   31) Friendly Current [Water]   [Charles S Remis & Margaret M Lasater]
   32) Water Breathing [Water]    [Charles S Remis & Margaret M Lasater]
   33) Wounds Change              [Charles S Remis & Margaret M Lasater]

   BTW  Who are these Charles and Margaret folks? I never seen them post
   on the list in the last 15-20 years or maybe I jus tforgot? :)

  * Magicref.txt = This is a GM Screen style file.  It has just the
    formulae at quick reference.  Top is the Range, Duration and any
    damage done.  Middle sectio nhs a quick one line entry on what
    the spell does.  The bottom has any possible new info needed like
    if the spell has "More info" (ie special rules), Optional rules
    and any quick one line notes or other formulae like MDV limits or
    such.  So in one file can edit it out for spells you may need
    in a game and print it out for quick reference.

  * Newspell.txt - This file has all of my personal spells that I have
    worked on over the last 2 decades.  It does include many of the
    spells now in v2 that Richard approved like Archery Powers and
    such.  But this is my draft.  He may have changed a bit of minor
    info in v2 so if you want to see my version this is where the
    original is.  It has 64 spell entries though one entry migth be
    a Family with many under it.  So really a lot more.  File is
    179k so the largest of the above file  It doesn't include the
    ship project Water based spells those are probably another 100 or
    so spells I've coem up with.

    So in all its a collection of almost 300 spell entries (probably
    500 by time you break down the family into individual spells).

   ------------------------

   Changes to archive...

   * Added Calm Sea change from Richard's email to altmagic.txt

   * Added 30 changes to altmagic and b2magic files from the old errata.
     Minor edits to magicref to help with the changes.

   * Errata spell notes added to b2magic including a lot of BMC changes
     Some were just notes added to the entries if it differed with the
     v2 rules.

   * Added 14 spells to Altmagic from Mark Murtha's collection. Added the
     data on new spells to magicref.

   * Updated Deceptive Creation and Tumble spells.  From unknown author
     to Mathijs.

   * Added Alex's Purify spell to altmagic/magicref.

   * Added errata comments from the many emails Alex and Richard did back
     years ago.  Like things from Levitate duration and such. All these
     emails were posted by Alex years ago.

   * Another errata email edit to Wounds duraton from 2004 from to the
     2002 v2 files info.

   * Sleep touch duration edited from errata email file 2004 from Richard.

   * Purifying Lance errata on range from Richard edited altmagic.txt.

   * Errata notes from 2006 on spell notes added by Richard.  Things like
     Shadow command, minor edits for other spells to add some comments from
     Richard's emails.  Things like Choking Moisture area effect note
     added to b2magic.txt file as suggestion.

   * Added Richard's Lycanthrophy spell version to altmagic/magicref
     from 2004.

   * Added dispersion and damantion to priest via Richard's emails.  These
     spells were missng from the priesthood articles.

   ------------------------

   If you want to post spells do so I can add them to my files.  It is
   always good to see new spells and suggestions.

   I'm waiting on some edits to Mark's spells to add.  But once I get
   that and any add who wants to contibute I can send the project files
   to Wout.

   For any players in my current PBEM, if need to see the files for new
   spells for next adventure let me know.  Since teh adventure should be
   over soon good time to add another hundrrd or so spells. :)O

Reminder: This email will be no longer used as of 3/1/2012.  You should
use longshotgm at comcast.net as my main email at this point.  So any email
sent just before 3/1 will be likely lost.

Cpmtact methods: Trillian (longshotgm at comcast.net) which can handle ICQ,
AIM, Facebook (Scott Adams) and Twitter.