[PnP] Perilous Lands d20

Burton Choinski bchoinski at comcast.net
Thu Mar 31 22:40:20 CEST 2011

Take it from me, converting P&P to other systems and retaining the flavor is very tricky.

P&P stats are a linear scale, more or less, so someone with S40 is twice as strong as someone with S20.  Now I have fudged lifting strength a bit, multipliying by a factor based on size (something like (Size/2), with a factor of 1/2 for Size 0).  This means a Size 10 giant with S80 can fling a S80 human character around like a rag doll, and don't even think of arm wrestling.

In my current game, we are using a custom system heavily based on the core stats, with other game system concepts rolled in.  In this system, stats are basically original stat/10, round nearest (Human norm 1-2, Human max 8).   The monsters are the same.  Skills are maxed based on the stats, so you get EL's in the 1-8 range).  Tasks are 2d10+Skill to beat a target number (usually opposing skill +10, or fixed difficulty number).  The new system does work out a bit more "brutal" when I look over it, some playtesting may proves that out and we will have to tone it down (it does have the benefit in that combat may well be something the players want to avoid, even as skilled as they are).

But we are still playing in the lands.