[PnP] Questions For Scott Adams

Phineas Cromwell phineascromwell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 17:18:08 CET 2008

It will be great to see that stuff. Definitely the kind of thing I'm
interested in. There never seemed to be any substantial, in-depth coverage
on the matter of portraying seacraft. There have been supplements, like from
outfits like Mongoose, but maritime matters have always been peripheral. I
know this is a natural tendency, of course: land represents the definite
majority of activity. But it would be great to be able to turn to an
in-depth resource of material when travelling or battling on water, to
really get a satisfying feel and experience of detail and realism, instead
of a vague 'transitional' feel to the whole affair (like the GM just sums up
what happens and thats that). Sea or river travel doesnt have to be
eventful, of course (krakens & dragon-turtles arent going to pop up all the
time; heck, simple fishing is going to suck on some days), but I think its
important to have a developed system, because the sea can offer up so much
potential adventure and danger.

As to the Western Lands name, I just wonder if Richard might be hinting at
further Lands east of them...I dont know. It just seems to me there is some
reason why he called them Eastern in one place and Western in another. And I
totally agree with the cultural perspective idea (and even the cosmological
one, which direction the sphere of the world spins). In the overall sense,
it amounts to a minor issue, yet because of the apparent inconsistency it
ends up being intriguing to me. Maybe there is another continent further
East (or West?)...

This kind of segues into my own 'apocryphal' P&P milieu work. I have worked
on developing other continents (the cosmological 'rules' of globe size in
this milieu transcend the 'rules' of our real universe: the sphere of the
P&P world is substantially larger than our own). One very large one exists
some distance down south; an ancient, decadent, sprawling set of lands. The
deep roots of the Empire del Nord begin here, by the way; their precursor
origins are colonial in nature. The 'high' manifestations of civilization
resemble the Rennaissance in some ways. My 'motif' impressions, in a very
summary way of describing them, are that the Perilous Lands are kind of
Howardian to me (not absolutely totally, but I drew some personal,
instinctive connections); I have sensed a slight strain of the Vancean in
the Western Lands. My own apocryphal lands are also Howardian, but also bear
a strong strain of Clark Ashton Smith (and consequently some Jack Vance, in
a kind of Talislanta way-- and perhaps also Jorune and Tekumel,
stylistically and in spirit, anyhow). I also love magnifying anything
Lovecraftian (like Richard's ideas of the Elder Law, and his chaotic
beasts); I toyed with the temptation of a 'Kutulu' alignment (it is very
tempting, to me at least, to see forms of those deities and creatures in the
P&P cosmology; I think it fits very well, with some customization). And I
suppose Moorecock is in there too: the very old decadence of the empires of
these lands makes me think of the Elric stuff). But also the matter of the
aerial ships we were talking about: I envisioned them being slightly common
in lands like these, where a Rennaissance-style technology base occurs here
and there. I think that kind of base would be needed to support a
semi-industry of such a thing (a Hermetic style of magery applied to
artificing).

As to Richard's obviously copious knowledge of folklore and mythology, I
suppose only he can directly answer where he derived those deep
Sumerian-style terms. Especially Akhkharu, which eludes me. I like vampiric
creatures and lore. I'm developing my own on a detailed level. As far as I
know, these are the most ancient form of vampire in extant texts, next to
some similar creatures (like the Edimmu, but I think somebody discovered
they werent as vampiric as previously thought). Oh well, to a detail-monger
like me, the research continues (it keeps boredom at bay)...