[PnP] Questions For Scott Adams

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Fri Nov 28 16:24:29 CET 2008

At 04:32 PM 11/27/08, you wrote:
>Thanks for the response. I know how busy schedules can get. Taking quality time on material yields better material anyway. I just really enjoy reading and collecting the contributions and opinions on the system and its world. In a patient kind of way, I cant wait to see more.
>Oh, by the way, did you ever entertain the idea of doing any work on aerial ships. They crop up in some milieus, like Talislanta, and if portrayed right meld well with the setting. Do you think they might fit into the 'Lands' somehow?

Actually got off work 2.5 hours early today (nice being the boss).  I actually chilled outside and watched the sun set. As I did I thought.  I know bad for my pnp group (never let GMs think - Rule #1).  Good for the brain cells and ship project.  I re-dusted off brain cells on the project and came up with a battle plan.  Will try to work on it next week. Got a 5 day vacation week so will help.  Alex is in ICQ so I can get almost instant feedback on things from a pnp GM/player.  The only thing that has stalled me is worry.  Worry for doing a good job and trying to get around some mechanics.  But in the end this project is for me and my group.  I must make myself happy.  Anyone else is fair game.  So I might as well get off my butt and finish it.  Figure can't make everyone happy. :)

As to Aerial ships funny you should mention that.  Some 6-7 years ago in the first pnp pbem adventure (now on #4) it had flying ships. :)  Though in terms of time it was only the last few minutes of it (think of a movie).  From an ongoing campaign Clima had been building up forces to recover their might.  They set into motions a 3 year plans.  Diplomats and important folks kidnapped for ransom and influence.  Mysterious pieces of an Elemental Staff found.  Once formed it could control the elements.  In process a new element (based on gravity of sorts) were captured in the upper world.  These elementals gave flight to the ships (3 at the time).  Party took their base and the ships down hard.
Its not a unique plot by any means.  I don't run written adventures anymore its all in my mind.  But over the decades I recall flying ships in Shadowrun? Dark Sun...and one of my favorites Hawkmoon/Stormbring (both I run not the first two). The flying dutchman is a bit cliche in today's universe but it was fun back then.  As to this ship project that's up to the GM.  It won't be in it per se just the low tech stuff with magic.  It wouldn't be hard to come up with something.  ie Levitation Stone of Somesuch.

---
As to works and myths.  I'm sure the web and that soon-to-takeover-the-planet Google can help.  I was in my reading phase in the early 80s and read many books on greek mythology (latin classes and school bleh got me intrigued).  Some of it was there.  Most seem to be European myths that I seem to recall.  But I'm no expert.  Of course back then on pbs there was Joseph (or was it bill) campbells pbs shows on the hero and mythology which was great. But the arcane terms could just be simple made up stuff. :)

---
East or West?  All is relative.  How does the world turn east or west? To Euopeit was the western world to China.  Then Europe was the East World and America was the New West.  All relative.  Perspective. Who named who first?  Did the natives in the WL name it WL first or did some merchant washed up on shore after some world hurricane name it from his perspective. :)

---

Your posts got out.  Sometimes the server is instant but other times it may take a day.  Just give it time if it doesn't work.