[PnP] PMR And MP Usage In Combat

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Wed Nov 26 19:30:27 CET 2008

At 02:59 AM 11/25/08, you wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone makes use of PMR in combat in the context of 'maneuvering', not just linear or semi-linear movement, but

Short answer.  Yes and No.

Long answer.  It depends.

That help? :)

Problem with PMR is the obvious.  Characters that move 4 in one phase.  That's 40 feet in 3 seconds.  Stat wise possible but is it realistic?
Maybe olympic runner.  So a GM has to consider what he allows or not.  I personally use variant on rough numbers.  My basis is a scifi system I run which uses AP (action points).  It is like your idea very detailed but not complex.  So with that experience I do consider say a character has PMR 3 he moves 20 feet leaving 1 more.  So he decides to hop off horse and draw weapon and shift his cape.  So we could say cape is one hand and .1 hopping off horse .6 and drawing sword .4 so couldn't quite do it all but at least get off the horse.  Its all what the GM feels is needed.  A group can come up with their own system and numbers but again it depends on terrain, situations and magic.

the same PC getting off the horse in a swamp might need more action time since he'll sink down a foot or two and so can't even do his cape.  So even a set system doesn't always work.

But yes I use a general system on drawing weapons, pulling capes off, drawing a dagger, and climbing stairs for example.  Its all in my head and players never need to worry about it.  But its fair.

But I'm sure we could look at your stuff and give comments on it.  Maybe even give Wout something to put on site. :)

As to Pelara I've been here since late '80s on the list It hink maybe early '90s.  I don't recall a supplement for it.  But I vaguely recall something about the area....hrmmmm...quick scan of dir of pnp files has pelara in a lot of Example entries.   Mention in the Sea of Tears article maybe that was it?  But it was only minor mention not a full supplement.

As to Heroes dunno that's a TBD/TBA thing.