[PnP] Perm Magics...how...?

Burton Choinski bchoinski at comcast.net
Mon Jan 21 15:44:54 CET 2008

As a tangent to this, just so you can see the oddity of my group, they
found a full helm that allows communication (EL6, so it has 6
"charges", regaining 1 charge per day).

 From the first time of use, when they were meeting the Hunfrithi, the
wizards could easily cast Tongues and communicate, but the warrior had
to use the helm.  Cue scene in room.

Player: "Just a second please while I put on my <deep voice> DARK
HELMET  to speak with you. </deep voice>

Henceforth it's just been called his "Dark Helmet*", and player
doodles of his character have always been hilarious.

But on topic, If you have an item that casts a spell of some type,
depending on how restrictive you want your magic to be, you could say
that only wizards can actually cast the spells (the item is only a
conduit, but requires the mana of the user to fire).  That provides a
use limiter as well (especially high-cost spells).  You may also allow
non-wizards to use it, but it draws Energy (painful)

Alternately, have the caster allocate extra mana when the item is
created -- the extra is stored by the objects and replenishes at HALF
mana regen per day.  This stored mana battery may be used to defray
the costs of firing off the spell.

*Spaceballs reference