[PnP] Ship sanity check please

Burton Choinski bchoinski at comcast.net
Sat Feb 16 19:27:09 CET 2008

All of the following ships generated with the use of the shipwright
(new tweaked version attached).  Would people care to  go over them
and see if the prices/performance look reasonable?

Construction times (for a 10-man crew) is given after price.
Obviously, a larger shipyard can devote more crews to large craft.

Structure is ship AHP; Toughness is the armor.  Seaworthiness is
general ability to stay afloat in bad conditions.  In combat terms,
only Normal damage is scored if players attack ships.  Any damage that
exceeds toughness is inflicted on the structure.  Once structure is
gone the ship begins to founder.  Players attacking the hull from the
inside (scuttling) used 1/2 toughness.

I still have to work up the larger merchant ships.  As for Biremes and
Triremes, they are so specialized as coast-hugging warships I'm not
sure if I will work them up, but instead make reasonable ship sizes to
match the Sea of tears crew ratings and make it so they can be used
long-term.

Canoe (10CC, 1d): A one-person wooden canoe, capable of holding the
user and a tiny amount of cargo.

Structure: 4               Seaworthiness: 6            Toughness: 3
Crew: 1 paddler
Cargo: 150#

Under Oar:  MR4 (in 3 phases), flank speed MR8 (in 5 phases).
Strategic 5/4 hexes; Tactical 2.2 MPH.
                                     9’ long, 2’ beam, 1’ draft, 1’
freeboard -- 0.3t displacement

Rowboat (20CC, 2d): A one-person, wide-stern rowboat often used for
personal water transport or small-time fishermen.

Structure: 7              Seaworthiness: 11           Toughness: 3
Crew: 1 rower
Cargo: 0.35 tons

Under Oar:  MR5 (in 4 phases), flank speed MR6 (in 4 phases).
Strategic 1 hex; Tactical 1.6 MPH.
                                   9’ long, 4’ beam, 1’ draft, 1’
freeboard -- 0.75t displacement

Jollyboat (60CC, 5d): A large boat built to carry multiple passengers
from ship to shore, often carried by larger ocean going ships.

Structure: 14 Seaworthiness: 22
Toughness: 5
Crew: 2 rowers
Cargo: 1.55 tons

Under Oar:  MR4 (in 6 phases), flank speed MR7 (in 11 phases).
Strategic 1 hex; Tactical 2.0 MPH.
                                      14’ long, 6’ beam, 2’ draft, 2’
freeboard -- 3t displacement

Large Jollyboat (145CC, 12d): As for Jollyboat, but with greater
capacity.

Structure: 22 Seaworthiness: 22
Toughness: 6
Crew: 3 rowers
Cargo: 4.25 tons

Under Oar:  MR4 (in 10 phases), flank speed MR8 (in 19 phases).
Strategic 5/4 hex; Tactical 2.2 MPH.
                                   18’ long, 8’ beam, 3’ draft, 2’
freeboard -- 7.7t displacement

Sailing Gig (55CC, 4d): A long, narrow boat designed to be sailed, but
can be rowed if becalmed.

Structure: 13 Seaworthiness: 17
Toughness: 5
Crew: 1 sailor
Cargo: 1.45 tons
Notes: 20sqf sail (1 mast)

Under Oar:  MR3 (in 9 phases), flank speed MR7 (in 18 phases).
Strategic 1 hex; Tactical 2.0 MPH.
Under Sail:  MR8 (in 11 phases).  Strategic 5/4 hex; Tactical 2.3 MPH.
                                   15’ long, 5’ beam, 2’ draft, 2’
freeboard -- 2.7t displacement

River Barge (150CC, 11d): A flat-bottomed barge designed to be poled
or paddled along a river or lake.

Structure: 31 Seaworthiness: 12
Toughness: 7
Crew: 8 polemen
Cargo: 8.7 tons

Under Pole:  MR2 (in 7 phases), flank speed MR4 (in 14 phases).
Strategic 1/2 hex; Tactical 1.0 MPH.
                               20’ long, 10’ beam, 3’ draft, 2’
freeboard -- 15.2t displacement

Coastal Trader (1,410CC, 108d): These small merchant ships are
commonly seen running along the coastal trade routes. They usually
beach at night (double crew requirements otherwise).

Structure: 40 Seaworthiness: 38
Toughness: 6
Crew: 6 sailors
Cargo: 9.6 tons
Notes: 180sqf sail (1 mast), Provision Lockers (400 man-days), Repair
Stores (3), Anchor (1)

Under Oar:  MR3 (in 26 phases), flank speed MR6 (in 51 phases).
Strategic 1 hex; Tactical 1.7 MPH.
Under Sail:  MR11 (in 15 phases).  Strategic 7/4 hex; Tactical 3.1 MPH.
                               30’ long, 12’ beam, 4’ draft, 2’
freeboard -- 25.5t displacement