[PnP] Ships, Yo!

Burton Choinski bchoinski at comcast.net
Fri Feb 1 06:01:12 CET 2008

The problem I see is that non-living structures must be handled
differently from characters or creatures.  A creature's HP is not the
damage required to destroy it, but enough so that it is dead.  For a
ship you don;t need to disintegrate it, but do enough so that it leaks
enough to sink.  For a building (or wall around a castle) you don't
need to crumble the wall, but simply breach it.

I was figuring SAV (Ship Armor value) would be the resistance to
damaging effects, and this would be primarily based on the thickness
of the hull and any armor added.  However, it must have some sort of
"degradation" level that makes sense.  A ship hull could be a foot
thick of oak, and a single human strike with an axe will do nothing,
but several hours of axe work will have an effect.

And SHP (Ship hit points) needs to be qualified to be "what kills the
ship".  Is it simply the point at which it sinks, or is it the point
at which it takes on water? Perhaps the way to handle ship hits is to
figure the amount of damage at which a ship starts taking on water at
1 ton a turn.  A ship may be multiply damaged so that it has multiple
"wounds" each pouring in that 1 ton/turn rate.  So the actual "SHP"
will be limited to an idea of how much surface area of ship must be
damaged, based on the hull thickness, not in terms of how much overall
mass of the ship to be cracked.

I thin that once we can decide on a "reasonable" value for a handful
of ships, this can be plotted out into a formula that will allow us to
figure it for any other designed ship.