[PnP] Ships, Yo!

Paul L. Ming pming at northwestel.net
Fri Feb 1 01:51:31 CET 2008

Hiya.

   I'd handle it in a slightly different way. I'd create something
called a "Structure Point" ("SP"). It would be 'equivalent' to a certain
number of 'hit points' based on the type of material it was made from
and how thick and well-made it was. For example, lets say I decide that
"Wood, Pine" has a SP multiplier of 2. Next, I figure it's a large
freighter canoe (maybe 1" thick overall, and 14' long by 4' wide by 2'
deep. Maybe multiply all that together; 112. It's SP mult is x2, so that
gives us 224 SP total for the boat.

   Next I would divide a boat up into sections; maybe Aft, Port,
Starboard, and Fore. Maybe even go so far as to divide Port and
Starboard into sections that are in increments of, say 10' (or half if
the total length is less than 20'). That gives our freighter canoe 6
'sections', with 'hp' 37hp per section (roughly).

   I'd also have some sort of AV, based on the type of material. I'd
also come up with basic adjustments and rules for the most common damage
types that boats would be affected by; fire, blunt, piercing, slashing,
electricity (fire attacks would get a simple multiplier to damage,
piercing would get a division, etc.). Or maybe go the other way and
add/multiply/divide it's AV (so AV vs. fire would be reduced in half,
and AV vs. piercing type attacks would be doubled).

   Thinking along that line, we might be able to get away with a
modified AV/DR system for structures... would probably be more
consistent with the P&P rules as they are now. Hmmm..... :)

Paul L. Ming