[PnP] Powers And Perils And Mythus

Paul L. Ming pming at northwestel.net
Sun Dec 14 00:53:10 CET 2008

Hiya.

  Mythus...hmmm. I can say this about it: When DM'ing two players only,
it's fast, simple and easy. When DM'ing 5 players...it's slow, complex
and difficult. I know it *shouldn't* really make a huge difference, but
in my experience, the more people added to a Mythus game, the more slow
and complex it seems to become. I think it's because there is so much
depth in the game for characters and choices, each player ends up doing
something different...and because of the way the game is, there's a good
chance that each thing they do is going to require a separate flip in
the book.

  Then again, if anyone kept at Mythus and learned the rules like the
back of their hands, I can easily see the game flowing as fast as Basic
D&D, AD&D, Alterity, etc. It's just going to be a little painful to get
to that point... ;)

  P&P and Mythus do seem to have a similarity in design concept; the two
that poke out for me the most are the symbiotic relationship between
'social class', 'upbringing (civilized/barbarian)', and skills. In both
games, your social class will favor various skills in the game; as will
your upbringing. I've always like this about P&P...it just makes
*sense*. Other games have attempted the same thing, but those games
usually simplify the connection a bit too much. Kinda like "If you are
civilized and low class, you get Streetsmart; if you are high class, you
get Ettiquete". This approach basically forces a stereotype on a
character when it should be forcing 'opportunity skills', but not one
specific one. Almost like in 3e D&D where all deaf people are Rogues
(why? in 3e, the skill "Read Lips" is only available to Rogues; so if
you are a fighter who suddenly finds himself deaf, you are pretty much
SOL unless you learn how to backstab people and join a theives guild...
;) ).

^_^

Paul L. Ming