[PnP] noob questions part III - Son of Noob Questions

Dan Abbott dabbott68_bmd2 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 26 09:51:13 CEST 2007

1) Would a character with innate abilities ONLY get energy back via a
daily energy roll (he gets 1d6 back if a roll of d100 minus EL is less
than Con)? In other words, he doesn't use the Mana regeneration rules
unless he is also a magic user? Also, I assume that roll is daily - it
never really specifies that I can find.

  That is the only normal way to regain energy.  There are several natural magic items which will help you regain energy level much more quickly though.

  2) For magic users, the energy level is never affected by spell
casting, correct? Of course the casting ability can never exceed the
energy level, but mana used on a spell is only deducted from the
casting ability, not from the energy level. Unlike for characters with
innate powers (who are not magic users), who deduct from Current
Energy Level.

Once a magic user has reached his mana casting limit we've always played that he can then start burning his own soul to fuel spells.  It can get very stressful on your mages when they run out of mana and you hit another encounter or the whole party gets captured.  We actually had an innate shadow mage have to burn his "soul candle" down to the last little nub in trying to get our party members out of military custody.  He actually had to stop halfway through the rescue and rest while the one mage he'd freed finished the job.  He was down to single digit energy level from over 90.  He literally could not muster the mana to cast one more spell without killing himself.