[PnP] pnp Digest, Vol 40, Issue 20

Albert Sales drite_mi at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 21:03:42 CEST 2007

Dan Gadle <dge at ksu.se> wrote:

    1.A question regarding monsters

How good is a monster like the troll with a natural NWI of -2 with a
weapon?
The description of most monster describe what kind of preferred weapon
they use but not how good they are?
Myself i rule that they are profficient with his preferred weapon and an
EL of (1d12+2) up to his maximum due to stats.
The troll for example uses stone club as preferred weapon he uses Mace
skill his maximum is (s+St)10 =(50+35)10=9 which means with a roll of
1d12+2 he could have between 3 and 9 in EL

  I keep it fairly simple.  Creature CDF + Ability bonuses = EL for weapons.  For natural weapons, I use the NWI.  So, for that troll, we have  3+2+2 = 7 average. I'll vary it a little from there. In this example, the results are close to the same, but weaker creatures won't be flushed to max EL.

    2.Nr of attacks for monsters

When a description of a monster description tells he uses claw and bite
for example i as a GM rules hes got 2 or even possibly more attacks how
do you GM out there rule?

Dan G (Sweden)

  One attack functions for me in most situations.  That one attack might be slashing with 4 tenticles, crushing with 2, holding with 2, and biting, but this could still be one "Attack".  The poetntial for damage getting to the target is not a single swing, but a combination of manuevers and observation (to find the best openings), and taking that shot when it comes up.  I've seen a 105 lb woman swing an axe at between 60 and 70 passes per minute.  With 3 seconds per combat phase, would she get 3 attacks? Not reallisticaly. She would lose 1 to manuevering, one to defense, and one might hit, might not.  That is why OCV and EL effect combat so much.
  On the other hand, certain creatures are described as being multiple attackers (the great spider and hydra come immediately to mind).  In their description, there should be a defined number of attacks.  In very unusual circumstances, I allow an additional attack, but this is rare (and I'm he mean referee).