[PnP] pnp Digest, Vol 40, Issue 20

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Wed Sep 19 19:07:34 CEST 2007

At 04:22 AM 9/19/07, you wrote:

>1.A question regarding monsters
>
>How good is a monster like the troll with a natural  NWI of -2 with a
>weapon?
>The description of most monster describe what kind of preferred weapon
>they use but not how good they are?
>Myself i rule that they are profficient with his preferred weapon and an
>EL of (1d12+2) up to his maximum due to stats.
>The troll for example uses stone club as preferred weapon he uses Mace
>skill his maximum is (s+St)10 =(50+35)10=9 which means with a roll of
>1d12+2 he could have between 3 and 9 in EL

Seems high to add to me.  Way too high.  I like the rules as they are now. Using natural weapons (claws, fangs) or weapons (troll clubs).  NWI is just a factor of skill the damage comes in during how well they hit based on if they are armed or naturally armed.  If your going to add damage then should look at Size in the regard as all NWIs are not created equally.
For example:
        Minotaur   SB+1 NWI-3 Size 2
        Bear           SB+1 NWI-3 Size 3
        Fiery Spirt SB+1 NWI-3 Size 4
Clearly if each attacked the same man likely the Fiery spirit would have a slight edge based on its size and powers.  Then the minotaur for its intelligence and fierce nature.  Yet they all have the same NWI so if you add some factor of damage to each doesn't make them as equal as they seem above.  If one were to complicate a system for it I'd do Size, Int and maybe S/SB into some formula.

>2.Nr of attacks for monsters
>
>When a description of a monster description  tells he uses claw and bite
>for example i as a GM rules hes got 2 or even possibly more attacks how
>do you GM out there rule?

That's an easy one.  I look at the animal.  I've seen enough animal attack X on Fox shows :).  A bear may only swipe with one claw but if he is standing up (rarely) in an attack he could do two.  So a bear might have 1 claw and one mouth attack.  Maybe a 10% chance of a second claw if there is a tumble or wrestle thing going on.

A donky kicks so it could kick you with one leg or in some rare occasions 2.  Deers would only get one antler attack.
A boar has two tusks but tend ot use it in one attack.
Just to me I figure how how they would fight.
A lion typically uses 2 attacks.  One is via mouth on neck and hold down with claws/body as brace but the claws have no real damage in this attack.  The second would be a full mualing with mouth, 2 claws and body as leverage where he intends to knock down or stun an animal before he does the neck bite.  So per case per animal/monster.

Course with these weirdo monsters out there you come up with some unique thoughts.