[PnP] noob questions part II

Paul L. Ming pming at northwestel.net
Tue Sep 18 18:49:41 CEST 2007

Hiya.

  Oh, I didn't mean "on the fly adjustments" all the time. Consistency
is the key to any good campaign. The -5 is the 'baseline' from which
other cases would be adjusted. So if -5 is the bonus for normal man vs.
man on well-lit, even ground, then the adjustment would be raised or
lowered based on how different the situation is from that 'base'. A
warrior choosing to flee against a mud-dwelling beast, as the warrior is
up over his ankles in mud would probably warrant a much larger bonus to
the mud-beast.

  A house rule is a good thing to write down. :) What I was trying to
get at was to not have a separate situational modifier for 'every little
change'; in the example above, I would have just one house rule: "When
disengaging from a foe, the foe not fleeing will get a single attack at
a -5 bonus against the fleeing foe. Adjustments to this bonus should be
made based on terrain, physiology, and other factors that might come
into play in that particular engagement."  This keeps it simple, but
leaves it open to interpretation for various other situations.

Paul L. Ming