[PnP] Gauntlets

Albert Sales drite_mi at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 15 10:10:31 CEST 2007

In my experience, gauntlets hinder almost as much as help in hand-to-hand.  I could see spikes making them WSB -1 or 0 (like daggers), unspiked, the usual damage is no longer subdual.  The big places they help are all surrounding the ability to keep fighting.
     They brace the arm and wrist, preventing fatigue.  In the abscence of fatigue rules, this ends up not effecting the game.  I use my own play-by-ear fatigue rules, so my players often include something to help against it.
     They protect the arm and hand.  I have scarred knuckles from not wearing hand protection.  Again, this is difficult to apply to a hard system, but it can be worked in.  Also, I would apply an AV for gauntlets (almost like a helm) for "Damage to the hand" if this ever comes up (like strinking an armored foe unarmed).
     If you've ever blocked a lightly swung axe, you'll know why gauntlets help so much.  Also, you can get a similar effect from striking something from a moving horse (mild reconstruction from this stupid act on my behalf).
     In short, if battle fatigue were implemented, gauntlets of any type would become VERY popular.  Until that happens, I suppose they are decoration.  This might be something worth working on.  (Battle fatigue being exhaustion, minor bruising/ scraping, and joint exhurtion.)