[PnP] Gauntlets

J Hooten jhooten at binary.net
Thu Sep 13 21:03:38 CEST 2007

Since PnP weapons are commonly WSB+0, it should take a serious weight to
make WSB+1 as a gauntlet
Yes spikes help but consider a sword is still WSB+0 at 3 pounds and
should do more than little spikes.
The biggest benefit is changing hand to hand damage to a weapon so that
you loose most the penalties.
d3 changes to d6 and larger. Unskilled does SB adds and a few others.

WSB is a base damage, raising it says this weapon does far nastier
damage than some other weapon.
That it penetrates armor better etc.
Weighted gloves will do more damage than a bare hand and spikes messier
damage but it will be hard to justify more than larger weapons.
Does a  5 pound weighted and spiked gauntlet do as much as a 5 pound mace?
Which is often a spiked iron ball on a haft, where the haft is to give
the weight a higher impact speed and force?
Maybe they would be close, but not a 1 pound weighted version.

And a heavy gauntlet would not be dexterous, it is a weapon only, where
a standard gauntlet is designed to allow holding and using other weapons

It all comes down to, does being punched by a metal glove work different
than from a bare hand?
It makes sense that it does more 'lethal' of damage, but is it up to
being a 'weapon'?
I would lean toward basic gauntlet giving partial, like someones post of
50% real and an actual cestus doing all real and both WSB+0

But its all mechanics, a razor glove could be justified as doing higher
damage but could also have armor limits since razors cut flesh well but
not metal.
Spikes penetrate both flesh and metal but to limited depth, but skill
can rip and shred using them.

Its important to remember PnP combat assumes most weapons do
approximately the same damage.
They only vary a little and only for extreme examples.
So yes you can make a WSB+5 50 pound warhammer usable by the extremely
strong and large and it could be useful for those few and useless for most.
But you cant make a light weight or easily used weapon of WSB+5 without
magic.
So watch out for those Mountain Giants who can do both!

Sorry for disorganized post, maybe it will help someone.