[PnP] On the topic of spells...

Burton Choinski bchoinski at comcast.net
Sat Mar 31 17:50:24 CEST 2007

Again, looking at ways to keep meat clean (I think I have steered
them away from the elder dragon meat, but they may want to preserve
the hide until they can get the stuff for tanning).

Preservation (LAW), BMC1.  Just says "food" but gives no quantity.
Time frame in days.

Preserve the dead (BALANCE), BMC2.  Good for "one body" (tiny Faerry
body or huge honking human? same deal).  time frame in weeks.

Now looking at it in a purely secular way, a dead body is meat
anyways...any reason why "preserve the dead" can't be cast on a dead
cow?  Good way to keep 500# of beef good for the troops.

I take it the balance intent is to keep a body clean for weeks for
eventual resurrection, so the intent prevents the casing in sides of
beef.  Presumably one could not cast it on a dragon hide, since it's
not preeserving it for later res, but the spell description is
ambiguous.

So, if they wished to use preservation, how much is it good for?  I
was proposing that Preservation follows the Balance model, in that
"one body" quantity is a 200# unit, with each multiple of 200#
dividing the time.  Since preservation is BMC1, taht would make it
good for 100# of food ( a nice round number), and time is divided by
the number of 100# units (this 500# of food divides tim to ONE-FIFTH).