[PnP] Hand to Hand

Burton Choinski bchoinski at comcast.net
Wed Aug 1 16:29:11 CEST 2007

The basic concepts we have added to HtH are:

Grappling:  An attacker going for a grapple uses his "damage" as a
degree of control.  While in control he can inflict an automatic
subdual damage equal to his normal hit damage (armor counts half,
rounded down).

Attacker A grapples and gets a severe hit.  His roll of 13 "damage"
is his level of control.

  The controlled target can attempt to break control by making his
own HtH combat roll, with "damage" compared to the control "damage"
At least one-quarter damage (round up) needs to be done to reduce
control, otherwise control is not affected.

Defender B tries to throw off the control but only gets a normal hit
for his roll.  He needs to do at least 4 points of "damage" to reduce
the degree of control, otherwise there is no effect.  If he does that
4 or more, control is reduced by that amount.

Once control hits 0, the target escapes the hold.  The holder can
attempt to improve his control at any time, with any "damage" he
rolls replacing his old control.  Obviously, any miss means he
screwed up and loses his grip.

If a grappled target rolls DOUBLE the control he may attempt to
"reverse" on the attacker and get an immediate HtH roll to grapple him.

In most cases, shield hits only matter in the initial grapple attempt
-- after that it is assumed that the shield is lost and any attempt
to improve the grip or get a new grip consider shield hits as normal
hits (unless the target has time while free to get his shield back).

For larger targets, add the size difference to their damage value
when breaking holds and reduce the initial degree of control by the
size difference.

A hero (size 2) is grappling a giant (size 8).  The initial degree of
control will be reduced by 6 (which may mean that no control was
gained) and if he is still grappled the giant will add +6 to any
rolls when attempting to break the grip.

Subdual/Real:
When using HtH, only subdual damage is done unless the attacker has
"hardened" his fists with either a cestus or at least AV2 gauntlets.
When hardened, he may opt to do only sudual, however.