[PnP] Western lands remap, physical, first draft

Choinski, Burton Burton.Choinski at matrixone.com
Tue Feb 21 13:46:59 CET 2006

I hope this is not too big for everyone, but I would like public
comments on the physical layer before I lock it in and begin the
political layers.  I especially want Richard's input.  I tried to take
my best guess on some of the forest areas, since colors were sort of
varied, so if I have flipped jungle for Forest, or vise-versa, let me
know.

Once I had the terrain masks created it was a simple matter of using
photoshop to create the relief and speckle layers to give the flat
colors the proper texture.  So, if changes need to be made at this point
it's not too difficult (I wrote down all my photoshop steps so I can
replicate stuff again)

1)       The mountains (and the entire land) has topography based on a
fractal cloud function.  When this was put into relief it produced
visible peaks on the map.  I used that same topo map to find the high
points for the snow cover.  If the location of these peaks is not good,
I can redo the topographic map (which will render high points at other
areas).  I do sort of like the high peak in Death's home, though

2)       I'm not 100% happy with the Badlands speckle...I have to
experiment with it.

3)       The Desert speckle can be used for additional terrain context,
if so desired...the dark dashes indicate areas of rocky desert, with
non-marked areas more like sand seas.  Thinking on this, I remembered
how I did it and I probably need to redo the speckle (it was based on
the global topographic, the end result being that the dark specks
(rocky) were at the low points, when instead they should be at the high
points. I need to invert my greyscale map before I generate the speckle.

4)       The swamp color was the only layer NOT a flat color...I had to
use clouds and difference clouds, with a color gradient attached to that
for the swirl and eddy effect.  If you don't like the speckle I added to
that, let me know and I can experiment some more.

5)       If you see spots I may have missed (like peeks of desert
showing across the hills or mountains, let me know.  This is a simple
touch-up matter of erasing the color layer (or adding to it).  If you
can include a jpg crop of the point in question that would be great.