[PnP] Alignment troubles

Alex Koponen akoponen at mosquitonet.com
Fri Oct 14 19:09:45 CEST 2005

My take on alignments is that an aligned creature doesn't NEED to attack
opposed aligned creatures - but would if they thought there was ANY
advantage to it. Likely to attack if they think they would win. They
might ignore most non-opposed creatures unless they thought there
definitely was advantage to attacking it (example: food).

Most Elder (Sidh and Dwarves) respect tradition. To take a
non-traditional magic path (or even demonstrate skill with a
non-Elder/Sidh spell) would be to acquire a social stigma that
effectively would reduce one's station. Plus they would have difficulty
in finding teachers and the probablility that their magic is already
what is best suited for their race(s). Also, they may be displeasing
their gods by going non-traditional routes. Highly discouraging if they
believe that magic comes from gods.

Humans are a special case. They are gifted with choice. They can choose
an alignment - if they choose at all. All magic paths require
alignments. In the case of some humans they have chosen several
alignments. Druids (Elder Wizards) have both wizard and magician spells,
this takes 2 apprenticeships. Shaman can become Elder Wizards and
include shamanic spells in the mix but takes 3 apprenticeships. Those
with multiple alignments have to take care to violate neither alignment.

Human priests are subject to more restrictions than wizards. They have
to obey the strictures of the religion in order to keep their station or
to advance. If the religion allows it they may learn a magic path of the
same alignment.

I expect a dwarf would only be a shadowweaver if they had rolled the
special event Shadow Powers.

        Alex