[PnP] Permanent Magic 'Always On' items

Alex Koponen akoponen at mosquitonet.com
Thu Jan 20 11:45:03 CET 2005

   How does one determine whether a permanent magic item is 'Always
On' as opposed to the usual ensorcelment that casts the spell (EL+1)/3
times per day. This applies to things like Speed, Luck, Dark Vision,
Clairvoyance, Invisibility, etc.

    At the moment my character in Scott's game, having been told that
assassins are likely to be sent after her, wants to create and wear an
item that gives the wearer Clairvoyance at EL0* all the time it is worn.
[*EL0 because that is enough to negate ambush bonuses/penalties and not
enough to negatively impact other skills.]

    How does she go about making such an item? She creates an item,
probably a piece of jewelry, she casts Ensorcelment on the item, she
casts Clairvoyance into the item, then what?
    Following those steps normally results in an item that can cast that
spell so many times per day on the wearer. Since having the spell
permanently 'ON' is more powerful, presumably it will be harder to make
such an item.

    Perhaps an Enchantment would follow, increasing the 'Attribute' of
the spell's duration? Maybe even reensorcelling, recasting the spell and
reenchanting the item enough to where the duration is sufficient for 24
hours per day?

    Example: Ensorcel EL0, Clairvoyance EL0 (lasts 10 turns), and
Enchant at EL4 (gives 100% increase in duration, thus 20 turns).
Problem: We need 7200 turns duration to have it last 24 hours/day.

    I suppose one could recast that sequence of spells (7200/20) 360
times. Seems a bit much though.

    How about each repeat of the sequence being multiplicative?
20x20x20=8000. Thus in this case doing the sequence three times would be
enough to have the item 'ON' all the time.

*****
    Another way to determine how to make Always On Items.

    Passive Ensorcelments such as Protection and Immunity are Always On
and are simply made by multiplying the cost of the Ensorcelment spell.
The way I GM them is the spellcaster casts Ensorcelment at the proper
multiplier (x1 for Protection vs single spell to x10 for Immunity to All
Magics) and then casts the appropriate Protection or Dispell Banish
spell into the item. The lowest EL determines the effective EL of the
item's protection.

    Similarly the Always On active magic items could use a specific
multiplier to the Ensorcelment. I ask that people think about this and
post their thoughts on determining such a rule and the appropriate
multiplier
 Perhaps a formula with BMC and Duration as factors would be
appropriate, possibly the simpler - one size fits all - multiplier would
be best.

    Let us know what you think would be appropriate.

    If you have a better idea please let us know.

        Thank you,      Alex Koponen