[PnP] Pernament Magics

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Sun Jan 2 05:58:07 CET 2005

Richard,

Pernament Magics is a great asset as it is now.  It allows the Ref to
define what he wants to do and how to deal with it.  Though there are some
areas of grayness that could be clarified.  Could you do up examples of
creating certain things for new folks and old folks?  It has area for room
but there are times I have to scratch my head and wonder which way to
tackle a particular thing for the magic.

For example:

A A Basic Amulet of Attribute Effect
* A Coin Bag of Magical Holding (ie reach in get a certain coin)
* A Wand that can fly on its own

For the first its pretty clear cut but explaining to a player how you
impress upon a attribute on a item (ie Will or Int) is hard to explain.
Poof its there.  To me I sorta always explained it as a life essence going
into the item from your own energy/life reserve and thus the item getting
an impression.  But maybe you since you created the ability could explain
it better? :)

For the second I suppose a bag would have to be enchanted and/or ensorceled
to have a oblivion type spell on it.  But how to modify that spell to fit
your need is the tricky part.  Do you just fudge the rules and create
whatever.  So that a Item can recall a Coper Coin just by reaching in at
will?  Etc.

For the 3rd I suppose a enchanted wand with a Intellect and Flight Ensorcel
spell would work am I right?

This group of spells is the most complex to explain to new players in my
games so an official Richard article would be wonderful :)

Also item ability - it how many times you can use the item.  Yes its there
in the rules but how do you make a item Always On or Always Off or On
sometimes and OFf others?

Thanks.