[PnP] To be a noble or not to be...

Choinski, Burton Burton.Choinski at matrixone.com
Thu Oct 21 13:56:13 CEST 2004

<<This Ael-metal is yours or a real metal?  Youdid send wout a equipment
thing years ago but I thought it was a excel document?  I have it on the
computer here.  It may be word.  So its out there....>>

It was a made up metal.  I had in mind a light metal (like aluminum) but at
least as tough as steel.  I gave elven Ael-metal weapons increased DV (very
sharp) but no increased DR and they were about 1/2 to 2/3 the weight of
human iron weapons.

It's been a long time, and I have long lost the formulas I used.  I think I
started with the lowest non-metal armor (quilted) and figured cost increase
for each change of AV ( probably something like AV to some power) times the
change in DR (percentage increase times some factor) divided by the change
in weight (again as a percentage, times some factor).    This factoring
allowed me to justify the pricing on some of the various armors that had
wildly differt prices in the original rules, but with no effective
difference in stats (You can have Banded ring, AV 2 at 12 pounds for 2GC, or
you can spring for the premium armor of Brigandine, AV 2 at _16_ pounds for
4GC....right).

Oh yea, as I was calulating new armor prices I may have tweaked around some
stats and provided some "justification" for the premium.  Armor notes added
here for people without the word doc so they can see what the hell I'm
talking about:

NAME                AVAIL  AV    PRICE   WT   DR
   DESC

Quilted Cloth         A    1       8CC    4   10
   Armor made from thick, padded cloth.

Leather               A    1      10CC    6   15
   Hardened leather armor, studded with metal.

Quilted Ring          T,B  2      90CC   12   15
   Quilted cloth  with flat metal rings sewn onto it, resembling chainmail.

Ringmail              T,B  2     120CC   14   20
   Leather armor with flat metal rings sewn onto it, resembling chainmail.

Banded Ring           T,B  2     150CC   16   25
   Ringed leather with leather straps sewn over the rings..

Scale                 C    3     250CC   20   30
   Leather with thin metal scales sewn or riveted to the outside.  Adds +1
to attack priority.

Brigandine            C    3     350CC   25   35
   Padded linen with small leather plates riveted to the inside, each
leather plate sandwiching steel strips.  Adds +1 to attack priority.

Chainmail             CC   3     500CC   40   45
   A long-sleeved coat that hangs to the wearer's knees, made of
interlocking links of wire. Adds +2 to attack priority.

Plate Mail            CC   4   1,500CC   70   50
   Chainmail with steel plates in strategic positions.  Adds +2 to attack
priority.

Plate Armor           CC   5   3,000CC   90   70
   Plate sections covering chainmail, with plate gauntlets Adds +3 to attack
priority.

Elven Scale           E    3   1,800CC   10   40
   Treated leather with hardened wood plates sewn into it. Elves may
purchase for 300CC.

Dwarven Banded Ring   D    3   2,100CC   18   35
   As for Banded Ring, but more rugged.  Dwarves may purchase for 900CC.

Dwarven Chainmail     D    4   6,800CC   45   70
   As for Chainmail, but more rugged. Dwarves may purchase for 3,000CC. Adds
+2 to attack priority.

Dwarven Plate         D    5  20,000CC   80   75
   As for Plate Mail, but more rugged. Dwarves may purchase for 9,000CC.
Adds +2 to attack priority.

Dwarven Plate Armor   D    6  45,000CC  100  100
   As for Plate Armor, but more rugged. Dwarves may purchase for 20,000CC.
Adds +3 to attack priority.

Aviailability notes:
   A=Available in all cultures (subject to weapon or armor preferences)
   T=Available in Towns, forts or cities, increased cost in rural villages
   B=Avialble in barbarian lands (where normally used)
   C=Cities mainly, increased cost in towns and forts
   CC=Cities only
   E=Elven Fiefdoms only, increased cost in cities of cultures that trade
with elves
   D=Dwarven strongholds only, increased cost in cities of cultures that
trade with dwarves.

The "attack priority" modifier I added to put a little realism into the
combat.  The heavier armors make you a little slower on the jump.  I
eliminated the "ring over leather or cloth" and just made the combined
armor.  You will notice the prices in CC, since I converted everything in my
listing to the silver standard (a CC is 1 part silver, 9 parts copper).
Actual silver or gold coins are rarer, so the players have to deal with
having to haul jingling bags of loot. >:}