[PnP] Blinded/Darkness/Invisibility

Albert Sales drite_mi at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 27 21:42:25 CET 2004

I've not seen this addressed anywhere, and many playershave suggested that a blinded being should be able to stumble about, cast a spell,  but nothing else. I approach a little different. First, the phase in which blinding occurs, no action may be taken (due to the shock of it). Then if a blinded being tries to attack, it gains no benefit from skill. The OCV and DCV will be quartered. All hits become one shift less deadly (with a miss indicating a nasty spill). I penalize the attack by 40 for using thrusting weapons, as well, and do not allow ranged attacks. I also do not show them where creatures are, and have had a few players injure comrades. I use the same rules for total darkness. Enemies of the blind gain a -15 ambush bonus with ranged attacks and some melee.
Invisibility is a bit easier to deal with. I quarter OCV and DCV if footprints can be noticed. If they can not, I apply the above rules.
Poor lighting is only addressed for missile fire. While it can have an effect on a melee, this will generally be negligable outside of the inability to see beyond a few feet. Simply do not show where creatures are, and allow ranged attacks only if the target is lit well enough to see. If they are, double the effective range for the attack, and no attack is allowed if not. Ambushes may be possible for melee and range, based on tactics and environment.
The -40 penaly I mentioned above is actually for a reason. I allow a Blind-Fighting combat skill (CTL 40 Advance: NELx8). It allows the character to use half OCV and DCV against opponents they know are present, but can not see. It removes the thrusting weapon penalty, and allows the use of combat ELs up to its own level. They maximum level is I+W+Em/15.

Alex Koponen <akoponen at mosquitonet.com> wrote:
Richard (or anyone else so inclined): Could you please summerize what
effects total darkness or being blinded does in P&P?

Likewise for the combat effects of partial Darkness?

Likewise for the combat effects of Invisibility?

Thank you, Alex Koponen