[PnP] Armorer skill - sling bullets

Alex Koponen akoponen at mosquitonet.com
Thu Nov 4 22:44:43 CET 2004

Being inspired to do some research I discovered that sling bullets are
made in many shapes and from many materials.
The two shapes most common were spheres and ellipses. The spheres were
probably easier to make and throw, but expert slingers likely could get
more range and penetration from the elliptical style. Archeaology
reveals that armies standardized their slingstones, likely to enhance
consistancy and accuracy. Often symbols were inscribed, sometimes
insults.
Different armies had different standards with different weights and
shapes.
Ranges up to 440 yards are mentioned in the texts. Modern amateurs
appear to only get ranges (using lead) close to those given in B2.
Stones, often rocks from a river were very common.
Some were made from ceramic. Sun dried clay or brick was easy and quick
to make. Probably not good for more than one hit though.
Casting from lead had the advantage of high density at relatively low
cost. Lead typically had 20-50% longer range than stone. Also lead has
more consistency in its density than stones so would have been more
accurate.
Other metals may have been used but would have been more expensive and
often less effective (because less dense) than lead. Presumably gold,
being even denser, would be even better but its rarity would preclude
its use.

Staff (Handle) slings are capable of throwing larger (more damaging)
projectiles. One would think that additional leverage would also allow
for longer range. My research did not verify longer ranges than in B2.