[PnP] Combat resolver [Was: idea]

Wout Broere broere at powersandperils.org
Mon Mar 29 23:57:05 CEST 2004

Dear all,

I know I do not post often, but sometimes an offside remark gets you going
like crazy. This time Burton started it with his calendar thing.

I had an excel sheet for years now that did help me resolve combats in p&p.
You gave in the D100 roll on the combat table, it told you what kind of hit
you had, based on who you where fighting. It calculated combat orders, and
could keep remaining HPV, CEP earned and expertise, as long as you knew the
limitations of the system. It never got to the stage I really trusted it.
Especially the die rolls for damage it reported where sometimes clearly
wrong. The system (excel sheet) had the difference between NWI positive or
negative (positive means in effect a weapon is wielded and another formula
is used[BTW Richard, an erratum to the original rules, which say the
opposite]) not in there. This bothered me, especially late at night, after
too many beers, during a session, when I depended on it as my concentration
and math were awful.

Basically the main system had been hacked together in under 16 hours, in
some programming drugged state, so that afterwards I had no real idea how
it worked. There was never the spirit to go back in and understand the
code. I just knew I wouldn't understand the garbage I had programmed. **

[End of rambling] When Tobie and Burton started the recent thread, I got
hit by a programming spree. I even warned off an other member of this list
not to start on the calender idea posted by Burton. Bottom line: I
programmed the thing as a web based application. look at the site, the new
topics list a Combat Administrator.

This is a combination of what my excel sheet used to do and Burton's
calender idea. You can give in scores for monsters, npcs or
characters.Select who is fighting who, and walk through the combat, with
the system helping the GM out by taking a large part of the combat
administration (not all) and additionally offering him a calender function
which can record and display events during the game and even during combat.
So YOU will know exactly when that spell ends.

See the site at http://abroere.xs4all.nl/pnp/gmt.gmt.php (or follow the
link from the index.)
You need to register a user name and password to use it, and there is some
documentation available from the above mentioned page.

Let me know what you think about it.
(I know it is not a full character score storage system. It is not intended
as such.)

Wout

Wout Broere		broere at powersandperils.org
P&P Website:		http://www.powersandperils.org/