[PnP] Gems

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Wed Mar 24 04:54:45 CET 2004

At 11:58 PM 3/22/04 -0500, you wrote:
>    For both game balance and what I feel is appropriate for the use of the
>material I am not predisposed toward having a system where every chip of
>precious gem can be magicked into something special. I will consider the
>suggestion and possibly think of a way where smaller items set in a magical
>items in series can equate to the require large, flawless jewel the system
>now requires.
>    I see the change you proposed creating a game where everyone and their
>brother carries around a "golf" bag full of magic items they pick and choose
>from. I do not think that is appropriate.

I only gave what D2 does.  I enjoy it now that I know how to work the
system :)It takes a goal and many long hours to get where you need so its
not easy to find gems.  That's what D2 does but pnp could just base it and
work with it using a totally different system.  I enjoy the progression.
It shows that Gems are not always created equal and the most perfect has
the most powerful magic in it.  Plus I really like to have to make a choice
of where to insert it.  Do you insert it into a helm, armor, wepaon or
shield?  After collecting tons of gems to get that one perfect one its not
a easy job.  It takes weeks or months and pnp could do the same thing.  A
golf bag could be done now using the current system.  It would give
Jewelers and Armorers more to play with and make them more powerful as npcs
or pcs.  There could be rules to make it so you don't find a gem every time
you hit a tree.  Could make it harder to find on the treasure table.  Then
once you find that horde of gems you have to find that one person in many
every 3 nations that knows hot to trasmute them or combine them (a more
common skill).  Just stuff to think about...  Many games do Runes and Gems
but I've never seen it quite the way D2 does.

>>From: "Alex Koponen" Reply-To: pnp at abroere.xs4all.nl To: "POWERS & PERILS"
>>Subject: Re: [PnP] Gems Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:19:39 -0900
>>
>>I agree. On v.2 it would be nice to have a more gradual transition in magic
>>gems and jewelry. Having mid-quality gems capable of holding minor magics
>>but needing Large, flawless and brilliant gems to hold the most powerful
>>magics is a good idea IMHO.

hmm...never saw that post alex..weird..