[PnP] Powers and Perils Rights

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Tue Mar 16 05:16:31 CET 2004

At 08:17 AM 3/15/04 -0500, you wrote:

> <<I also think PNP is a great system AS IS.  But it could be improved here
> and there but not overally needed.  We can dicker on percentages all day
> but we have to be realistic.  How many are on the list? 30-40?  How many
> out there may not be on the list but know the game exists and plays it?
> Another 40-50?...so let's say 100 people.  Sadly the era of rpgs are fading
> even teh local hobby shops are hard to find these days.  I know our last
> shop closed up here recently.  I know the project is worth it for US but
> I don't think Richard will get much profit outside the list :< >>
>
> The problem is, unless we want to just make a new version for us dihards,
the
> system itself needs to simplified and modernized.  CCG's have decimated the
> mindset of modern gamers, so complex systems on the order of P&P or Space
> Opera just won't sell.
>
> We want to bring P&P up to modern, sellable standards, yet retain the
overall
> feel of it and the world behind it.  But we don't want to just boil it down
> to d20 pablum levels.  That's the tricky part -- tweaking rules and
> mechanics, yet still allowing for the larger-than-life, Conan-like
> characters. We need to eliminate needless complexity, and retain the
> convoluted flavor.  Streamline it, but keep it robust and able to move in
all
> directions.

Agree.  I don't think anyone here including richard is doing this for
profit or
fame.  Just to make a great game better.  I don't think though large sweepong
changes should be done like converting from d100 to d20.  I think the core
system should stay since that has made it popular.  Expansion and modification
is the rule of thumb.  Expansion of new classes, new skills, new magic, new
areas of magic, new lands (heck we could do an entire new PL contient :)), new
gear, etc.  Modification of character gen, magic and combat.  But not overlly
changing things.  At least that's my hopes.
 Theres enough folks here we could put into groups.  Some groups tackle
book 1,
some 2..some 3...some adventures..some computer aids..some organization and
spell checking. etc.  Richard can outline all that and get it organized.  It
should be interesting to see it.
 I just hope for my personal sake theres a text version of all these ebooks :)
I hate pdfs and conversions to text tends to be awkard :)