[PnP] Powers and Perils Rights

Sylverrs_ dragon abnaric at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 11 18:20:11 CET 2004

    The current holder of the rights to Powers and Perils is Wizards of the
West Coast. I made an initial contact with their Customer Service people
(the best I could do). They gave me an address for contact the executives
who run the company. It is my intent to send the following letter on Monday.
I would like the list's input on it before then if possible. Thank you.

Richard L. Snider

TO: Wizards of the West Coast
         ATTN: Licensing
SUBJECT: Powers and Perils
DATE: March 15, 2004

Dear Sir/Madam,

     My name is Richard L. Snider. I am the author of the
Powers and Perils game system. The purpose of this letter
is to state my interest in upgrading the work, either with
your agreement or through acquisition of all rights for
myself.
     It is my intent to go through the system making needed
corrections, improvements and upgrades. I, and a cadre of
interested volunteers, will create a second edition of the
system without the errors and with much improved logical
flow.
     As you are the holder of the copyright for my work it
is incumbent on me to apprise you of my intent and seek a
way to include or appease your organization prior to
beginning the serious effort ahead. This letter is a first
step toward accomplishing that goal.

MY PLAN
     With the aid of the interested volunteers the basic
four book Powers and Perils system will be improved and
streamlined over the rest of this year. When a final
version is agreed upon, I will make the product into a
series of e-books.
     Said books would be made available on an e-book
website that I create. Any sales of the product will be
used to further expand and improve the product line and to
defray the investment of time by the volunteers and myself.
     This, to me, is a personal endeavor to perfect a work
that is dear to me. I expect little or nothing from the
project beyond satisfaction. It is my belief that Powers
and Perils is the finest fantasy role playing system ever
created. I wish to perfect it and make this fact clear to
anyone who is interested in taking a look.
OPTIONS
     As I stated above your interest in the system must be
respected. This being the case, I suggest the following
options. Any of them would be acceptable. I would also be
interested in hearing your comments on alternatives that
may be more appropriate for you.
     Wizards of the West Coast will retain rights to the
system in its entirety. They assign my staff and I the
right to produce the second edition. The finished work will
be made into an e-book, bearing the Wizards of the West
Coast logo, and submitted to Wizards of the West Coast.
     Should Wizards of the West Coast choose to publish the
second edition, they shall have exclusive right thereto. On
notification of said intent, I will withdraw the e-book
from distribution and market the coming publication.
     Wizards of the West Coast, on deciding to publish,
will agree to the payment of their standard royalty to
those involved. I will submit a list of the individuals who
contributed. The royalty will be divided equally between
them. I retain credit as the system's author. Additional
refinements (computer games and aids, new scenarios, new
add-ons, etc will be negotiable)
     While Wizards of the West Coast has the rights they
have no intent or interest in doing anything with the
Powers and Perils system. This being the case, the
assigning of said rights to its author is a minor action on
their part.
     This option calls on Wizards of the West Coast to
assign all rights to the Powers and Perils game system to
me. I will make the refinements and product mentioned in #1
above. In marketing said product, I will place a sizable
advertisement for Wizards of the West Coast on the site. I
will also pay Wizards of the West Coast TWENTY PERCENT of
the gross sales of the e-book or any other items produced
for the Powers and Perils system.
     The product, website and any other products will make
it clear that the system is the wholly owned property of
Wizards of the West Coast and is assigned to me; me being
the company name I operate under.
     Wizards of the West Coast wants no part of any such
project. This being the case, they agree to transfer all
rights to the system to me. Any payment required from said
transfer shall be paid from the proceeds of Powers and
Perils development. Wizards of the West Coast will receive
FIFTY PERCENT of said proceeds until the sale price is
defrayed. No interest, penalties or other modification of
said price will apply for any reason.

     Those are the basic options I see. I hope you find one
of them acceptable and are willing to work with me. The
resulting product will be magnificent. There is no doubt of
that fact.

Yours,

Richard L. Snider