[PnP] Holy Crap!!!!

Larry Kurgan at Fastmail.fm
Fri Jul 23 18:06:30 CEST 2004

Hello Richard,

Sd> I never heard of a game called Lands of Adventure.

    Ah, nuttzlefutz. Sorry, I got the names mixed up in my noggin.
    Obviously I meant to say Adventures in Fantasy, the game you wrote
    with Arneson several years before P&P.

Sd> I did not use any other game to create Powers and Perils.

    Didn't mean to imply you did. Overtly, that is. Any P&P enthusiast
    can look at AiF and clearly see the roots of what would eventually
    become P&P. Whether you consciously intended on it or not, the
    seeds you planted in writing AiF, clearly grew into what you later
    wrote and called Powers & Perils. One could almost call AiF "Basic
    P&P," for all intent and purpose. So, if you wrote a second
    edition of Powers and Perils, and it had the same concept of
    mechanics, races, and so forth, you could easily call it
    Adventures in Fantasy 2nd ed, and that wouldn't be inaccurate in
    the slightest. WotC couldn't say or do squat, because they *don't*
    own AiF. In fact, if I understand the copyright laws correctly,
    AiF at this point, regardless of who published it, would have
    reverted to being entirely yours and Dave's, and I doubt Dave
    would care if you took it over and re-wrote it for today,
    especially if you're only drawing on the elements you contributed
    to it (which were the portions that we recognize and like,
    anyway). :)

Sd> It came out of my head entirely.

    Quick! Someone get this man a hanky!

    "Cleanup on aisle two!"

    <Chuckle>

Best regards,

   Larry                         mailto:Kurgan at Fastmail.fm