[PnP] Just for fun

Larry Kurgan at Fastmail.fm
Thu Jul 22 21:38:39 CEST 2004

Hello Burton,

CB> Combine the effects of the increased stats (more AHP, MDV) with higher skill
CB> potential, and yes, all character class beings are legends compared to joe
CB> normal.  Yes, in the beginning they start off as "weak" (relatively), but
CB> easily twice as good as the average man in any case after you apply your
CB> starting points.

    It's interesting how we've each developed a different view of
    things. I've never considered any characters, short of magic or
    "supernatural" abilities, as being anything other than regular
    Joes with a touch more motivation and dedication to 'adventuring'
    as opposed to a geographically static vocation (which, actually,
    was one of the draws for me), whereas you've inferred it to be a
    somewhat 'more than human' position. That's really very
    interesting. :) I wonder how many see it as we do, respectively.

    As for having a built-in setting, again, I see things exactly
    opposite. It has been my experience that people are relatively
    turned off by a forced setting. Back in "the day" I was around
    hundreds of D&D fanatics, and almost nobody actually used Greyhawk
    at all. I *did* see that setting begin to get more enthusiasts
    after 2nd ed. D&D came out, and they started pumping out lots of
    modules set in that world. Once again, it's really very
    fascinating how two people can have completely contrary
    experiences with the same subject. :) Still, the best way, I
    believe, to appease *everyone* is to at the very least keep the
    material separate, so that they have a choice. If a second edition
    of P&P came out, and the PL setting was just another book in the
    box, that would be fine. As for the setting itself, it just never
    appealed to me, and it was the unique, realistic rules for skills
    and such that stood out as a fantastic and refreshing change, and
    ultimately led to my long-term love for the game.

Best regards,

   Larry                         mailto:Kurgan at Fastmail.fm