[PnP] Just for fun

Choinski, Burton Burton.Choinski at matrixone.com
Thu Jul 22 20:23:48 CEST 2004

||     Although I like the name on its own merits (sounds very cool), I
||     have two probs. First, at least two other RPGs have used the
||     terms

Well, it was off the top of my head here at work.  The words can be tweaked
(find a thesaurus? :) to be different enough but still embody the concept.

||     , and secondly, as you mention below, it implies that the
||     characters are larger than life. Obviously, you like that, and
||     that's fair, but the think that I always loved about P&P was the
||     fact that characters were just people. No classes, no archetypes,

Well, they are.  Joe average has a x1 multiplier on all attributes, with x3
on con and app.  The average character is kicking about with a x1.5 MINIMUM
on all base attributes, with a general average of x2.5 (and peaks of x4,
obviously).  Add the possibility of x5 on con and app and we have a LOT more
potential then your average mook.

Combine the effects of the increased stats (more AHP, MDV) with higher skill
potential, and yes, all character class beings are legends compared to joe
normal.  Yes, in the beginning they start off as "weak" (relatively), but
easily twice as good as the average man in any case after you apply your
starting points.

And when I mention "class" it's not the D&D classes term, but
"classification".  "Character Class" NPC's is a term right out of the books.

||    Well, for one thing, that tied it to PL, which I'm not crazy
||    about, but I am curious about the changes you mention. Are you

Everyone has their preferences. :}  I feel the lands is the best part of
P&P.  We have used, and continue to use the cultures and map for a variety
of systems (homebrew and otherwise).  Having a place to start with is a HUGE
draw for any game system.  "Greyhawk" was probably the starting point of
half the D&D players in the world.

||    referring to a possible change in the "world" to set up a new
||    game, or have there been such changes made to the backstory/land
||    online that I haven't heard of?

Just suggestions to give meaning to the words "Time of" in my suggested
title.  Nothing canon that I am aware of.