[PnP] P&P Mark II

Larry Kurgan at Fastmail.fm
Thu Jul 22 17:09:53 CEST 2004

Hey gang,

    As much as I can understand the pleasure of retaining the name
    we've come to care for over the years, honestly, the best thing to
    do is simply create a new title and not be bothered with entities
    like WotC. After all, the game mechanics aren't copyrighted, and
    we had wanted to tweak and update them anyway. We have a wide open
    field before us, and Richard has all of us to draw on for
    feedback, testing, opinions and/or suggestions, etc. A few of us
    are also experienced game designers, too, so that can't hurt. :)

    My greatest concern at the moment, from what I've read here, is
    the desire to utilize Perilous Lands. I do think that WotC might
    give you problems with that, if they notice it. However, more than
    that possibility, I think that any game that sets itself in a
    specific land is selling itself short, and is limiting the
    potential audience. I've been a P&P fan since it first hit the
    shelves, and have all the stuff (Heroes mags, too), but personally
    I never really liked Perilous Lands, nor the upper & lower planes
    of existence, which were just damned confusing to work with. I've
    always used the game for playing in "my own game world," which
    most of us tend to do to some extent, and when an adventure was
    set within a town, I was forced (unless I wanted to redo lots of
    maps and such) to simply change the name of the town and some of
    the surrounding geographical identifiers to make it fit. Being
    able to make use of an existing setting, like PL, is fine, but
    shouldn't be mandatory, in my opinion. That only works with
    settings based on novels or movie settings, and even then they
    rarely are successful for very long. Better to offer possible
    settings as separate, optional books.

Best regards,

   Larry                       mailto:Kurgan at Fastmail.fm