MDV item

Albert Sales drite_mi at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jan 31 22:59:37 CET 2004

I used a "Cursed" Necklace tyhat granted increased MDV and immunities. The MDV boost could be made "compliant", because the target does always have the option of 0 MDV. The immunities did not turn off. The party HATED not being able to recieve ANY shamanic magics (the necklace was worn by EVERY member). The MDV was in general, so they struggled with the desire to put it on. It could only be removed in moonlight. (This also reminds me of a "Cursed" tent...)
   That was just my little toy, though. An item responds however the maker choses. If it is ALWAYS interfering with magic, it might even block spells cast by the wearer. A follow-up question on this is: Does the MDV increase affect MDV limits?
   A natural magic material SHOULD be allowed to function as the possessor desires; stopping harm, but not interfering with healing. Since that is the "Natural order" of applying MDV, I would certainly allow that.

Alex Koponen <akoponen at MOSQUITONET.COM> wrote:
Does an item that grants an MDV bonus to its wearer grant the bonus such
that the new, higher MDV responds as the wearer desires (stopping harmful
spells and assisting helpful spells) or is the additional MDV always
against any spell affecting its wearer, even healing and other helpful
spells?

Perhaps it is on a case-by-case basis. Of course the Referee has the
ultimate last word, but many Referees would like guidance for what should
be the standard way MDV items work around helpful spells.