Phoenix

Albert Sales drite_mi at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jan 29 23:11:46 CET 2004

Only two combat systems have EVER impressed me for games. P&P and Heros. I've seen the realistic (someone fired? Alright, we can reconvien tomorow), and the pathetic (anyone play Og, it's a beer game), and lots in between. However, the streamlining in these two works top keep it fast and imaginable.
   I would have to reference heros for a magic system, as well, but I have seen better. A stupid game made off Wizrds (an animated movie) had a surprisingly nice Magic system. Magic is the most complex aspect of a FRPG, as it has to work in (and change) every other system in the game. The risk behind magic early on is a major factor, but the rewards for risking these perils are great. A skilled Wizard seems unstoppible, but they must survive using magic enough to become that skilled (they don't grow magically from fighting).
   P&P has, by far, the best Skill-Based character creation/advancement system I've seen. Arguement could be made for fast learners and good teachers, but that's crying at the rain. Add in the best combat system I've seen, and the best non-effect based (spell based) magic system, and I am surprised that it hadn't gotten larger than it did.
   The world of play is a setting. While it may influence things in the game greatly, I try to avoid looking at it as a game aspect. I, for one, love to build worlds. Even when the already built world is decades beyond what I will ever do, I find fun in doing so.  P&P allows this, but is clearly geared towrds the world for which it was made. Still, every fantasy world I've designed works with P&P.

Alex Koponen <akoponen at MOSQUITONET.COM> wrote:
I agree with Kurgan, except that I also really like the Perilous Lands
('Sea of Tears' is a great name btw).

There are a lot of RPGs out there. Many have decent combat systems, some
comparable in quality to P&Ps. Indeed P&P's combat system is not without
flaws. However, I have yet to find a magic system that I like better than
P&P's magic system. GURPS' magic system comes closest but it doesn't ring
as true to what I imagine magic to be as P&P's magic system does.
Probably P&P's biggest flaw in the magic system is the extreme power it
gives with relatively little risk.

Alex Koponen