Spells (was: god legends)

Alex Koponen akoponen at MOSQUITONET.COM
Thu Jan 29 17:32:21 CET 2004

Alternatively, presuming using a combined Table, one could have a shield
hit/Partial magic result being that the spirits respond lethargically and
do minimal results whereas a severe or deadly hit would have the spirits
being particularly enthusiastic and perhaps do extra. The caster would
still control how much he put in but not how much 'the spirits' do.

        Alex K

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:49:43 -0800, Albert Sales <drite_mi at YAHOO.COM> wrote:

>WOW!!! I, again, am bowed. Very nice, and excellent Idea. To do this, a
Wizard should get some extra cast ability to make up the difference, it
should not be used for powers "from blood" (innate, natural, creature, and
priestly). It makes sense since Wizards steal power from the upper world.
The "flux" could coincide with upper-world fluxes.
>   Instead of the second d10, just add the one's digit from the success
role. Consider this addition option; use the chart to place the cost of ELs
(instead of the x2 standard).

>   If you wanted the table removed, assign a figure (BMCx(3+EL) for
example), and divide the result by 1d10 (rd) (or 1d10+EL reserved; not used
in casting, but available) to add in place of or in addition to the ELx2
for the spell-power. If in place of, I would probably use (8+EL). Then, the
flux would be personal and variable for each casting. HOWEVER, this is a
bit more complicated... probably should scratch that...

>"Choinski, Burton" <Burton.Choinski at MATRIXONE.COM> wrote:
>
>A possible change to make magic more mysterious might be to have the
actual mana cost be a bit more uncertain.  At present, Joe Wizard with 44
mana points knows he can cast a spell that takes 4 mana 11 times.  *yawn*

>Imagine a "mana flux table" (yea, another table, but this would be in
the "advanced rules".

>Take 19 colums (labeled 2 to 20).  Each row represents one of the current
spell BMC (BMC 2 here as example):

>BMC 2 | 1 | 2 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 2 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 2 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 2 | 3 | 2 | 1
| 2 | 3 |

>At the start of a scene (or when ever he flet like it) the GM could roll a
d10 and not ethe number.  Whenever a player casts a spell the GM rolls 1d10
and adds it to the previously noted "flux".  Reading across the tabel to
get the actial BMC for that spell cast for magic use purposes.  Obviously
the higher BMC lines could have a bit more variance (perhaps by +/- 2 at
BMC 5, mayby +/- 3 at BMC 10, etc).  If the player happens to exceed his
mana points due to flux, for ease of use you simply drain DOUBLE the excess
from their energy level.