Enchant requirements

Alex Koponen akoponen at MOSQUITONET.COM
Mon Jan 26 21:54:21 CET 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 12:35:03 -0500, Sylverrs_ dragon <abnaric at HOTMAIL.COM>
wrote:

>The reason wizardry gives the player a starting level as either a jeweler
or
>armorer should show the answer to this question. They are essential skills
>if he is to enchant items of value. The item must be made by the caster
from
>virgin material. That means he must make the item from beginning to end.

Okay. If making a magic ring with a cut gemstone in it, does the
enchanter/jeweler have to have been the one to cut the gem? Must he have
been the one to wrest the rough gemstone from the earth and then kept it
unsullied by other hands until he has cut and enchanted it?

While most armorers buy pigs of iron or bar stock for efficiency's sake,
they probably know how to smelt the ore...it just takes longer and provides
them less income per hour if they do so. So an enchanter/armorer can make
metal armor from virgin ore. Note that some places far from iron mines will
have problems getting virgin ore rather than getting pigs of iron.

Does armorer skill cover the tanning of leather?
Is tanner a subskill of armorer?
I figure it is more likely in more primitive societies.

Does armorer cover weaving cloth for quilted armor?
I doubt it, though armorer probably includes a limited specialty in
tailoring.