Enchant requirements

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Mon Jan 26 03:39:15 CET 2004

At 08:32 PM 1/24/04 -0900, you wrote:
>Permanent Magics - Enchantment requires that the item to be enchanted be
>'created with his own hands from VIRGIN material.'
>
>One - I think that doing so should give you bonuses while enchanting
>something you just picked out of someone's trashbin would give you
>penalties. Quality should matter as should familiarity with the object.
>Also an object that is new might be less 'resistant' to being enchanted.

This goes without saying and should be how its done.

>Two - What is virgin material? Say I have an armorer/enchanter who wants
>to enchant some quilted armor. Does he buy a bolt of cloth and sew the
>quilted armor then enchant it? Does it require that he weave the cloth?
>(Does armorer cover that or must he also be a weaver?) Does it require he
>sheer the sheep and spin the warn or pick the cotton?

I go back to the old Merlin myth.  He created alot of his own stuff from
scratch.  So in that case I think yes.  Buy cloth, a slab of metal (to be
shaped to armor) and then put all together through your skills.  Obviously
if you don't know how then your limited.  This prevents just any old joe
from making an enchanted item and thus the educated must be the one to make
it.  But its a case per case basis.

To enchant a simple sword a GM could just say a simple sword be bought and
then you shape it through your own hammering nad meditation and then
implanting jewels and other ornaments to make it unique.

Its defintely tends to be something over time nad not over night.