[PnP] Re: On Creation and such spells

Alex Koponen akoponen at mosquitonet.com
Fri Feb 20 07:13:47 CET 2004

On Thu, 28 Dec 2000 Maouse wrote:
A few gifts for the aspiring adventurer (aka ideas for gifts to create for
"yourself" in the game):
an amulet of Pure Casting
  - Purification spell permanently cast on the amulet, granting the
purificaiton benefits to a magic type. Much better than luck for a mage at
(EL+2) * 2.
  - can also be cast with an ANTI-Magic effect to limit them thar
spellcasters (say a MINUS (EL+2)*2 from their rolls, ouchies, we all know
how much 16% (the "max") can affect spellcasting).

Alex's comments: My understanding is that Purification is cast on an AREA.
Areas are not something one can tote along. [Though I have thought about
trying to ensorcel a rug with permanent Purification.]
  Note that with a liberal interpretation of Ensorcellment one might be
able to make an item that adds its EL to the spells cast by the wearer
(like a wand but without the cost). If one wanted to hurt the casting
ability of a wearer one could just 'aim' the spell immunity at the wearer
when you Ensorcel the item so that it subtracts its EL from the EL of any
spell cast by the wearer.

an amulet of Invulnerability
  - (EL+1)x5 HP bonus. The genius part of this item is that IF you take
exactly enough to bring it down (ie. you don't actually take damage) it
can
be restored the next phase before you get hit (by anything other than
missile fire). As amulets go, this is definitely a keeper.
  - optionally you could make a "fake" amulet of invulnerability that is
actually an illusionary device which uses painlessness and personal
illusion to mask damage until the character is dead.

Alex's comments: I do amulets of Invulnerability in one of two ways. One
way allows the amulet to cast the spell (EL+1)/3 times per day. The other
way makes an 'ablative' amulet that gradually breaks as the wearer
receives hits. When the EL damage limit has been blocked by the amulet the
amulet is destroyed. Its a good way to help protect pets.
 - Alex