P&Pv2, design questions (to Richard)

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Thu Feb 5 00:05:15 CET 2004

At 05:53 PM 2/4/04 -0500, you wrote:
>The thought, right or wrong, was that Con and Ap were things a person was
>born with and could not alter. Thus the fixed multiplier.
>The rationale with the other eight stats is allowing the player to assign
>multipliers allowed him to make the character the person he wanted it to be
>within the limits of its native ability and other factors that I felt have
>an influence.

That's what I figured.  Course Con COULD be enhanced through drugs,
magic, a steady life of staying away from illness and such.   So in some
ways your born with it but it can be improved.  But in a medieval realm its
a bit more
harder.  Ap of course can't be altered other than disguise or plastic
surgery.  I don't think none existed in that time period :)

>The result makes creating a character more complex but I feel it also makes
>the resulting person more unique and important to the player.

Yep.  Many other games I've played in you can alter these stats and it does
mean most people choose Ap last since they don't care how they look.  So it
does add a new spin on the way characters are done and like it that way.

---
Now for v2 pnp we need more info on equipment.  :)
Not a big deal right now but some players look at some things and can't
picture what they look like.  Without the book at hand and trying to
describe a arbalest is a bit hard.  (without the pic).  I think instead of
just a table we could add a bit more spice to it like some basic
descriptions or modified stats.  Say

Stats for Humans, Elfs..etc..for weapons.

A bit more rules on avaliable and markets is also not required but adds spice.
The basic system works but newbies need all the help they can on
understanding games :)

AND of course...being a game that tends to center around the Sea of
Tears...info on Ships (I know I keep asking) would be nice.  Its clear a
world of ships like the Sea of Tears would benefit from it.  :)

For equipment..minor notes on explosions like via Naptha and such.