DTV

Kurgan Kurgan at FASTMAIL.FM
Mon Feb 2 23:03:22 CET 2004

Hello Alex,

AK> I wasn't trying to 'get' anyone. Sorry. But a number of games have
AK> bleeding rules and having house rules for bleeding or for going past DTV
AK> seems likely for anyone who played for a long time.

    That's what I found humorous. I must have been using something
    similar, because when you quoted those rules, I "recognized" them
    enough to assume they were from the book. I'll have to dig through
    my old notes and see if I can find what I was using for blood
    loss.

AK>   Finding gamers IS tougher now that computer games distract a lot of those
AK> that once would have been playing wargames or RPGs.

    I was referring to geography and rural mind-set. When I moved to a
    small hick town, I discovered that *nobody* games here. Only
    rarely can I find the occasional person that is interested enough
    to give it a try, and that never times out right, because by the
    time I've managed to find another person (in hopes of getting a
    regular group together), the first one has moved or something. The
    women chew tobacco and are all pregnant by 15, the guys all think
    drinking lots of beer and beating up on strangers is "normal" fun
    and sitting around talking would put them in a coma. It's really
    sad. Ah, and then, the one time I find several people at once who
    I could game with, they're all kids imported from Seattle, and all
    they play is D&D and RIFTS.

    Yes, I intend to move when I can afford it. :)

AK>   A couple minor clarifications:

AK> The Damage Tolerance Value (DTV) of a Character equals:
AK> ((C/20*)+StB)x(-1) *Round Up. Rather than ((C/20)+StB)x(-1) Round Up.
AK> By rounding up before it becomes a negative number I insure that the DTV
AK> isn't +1 [Example: C5 and St5 =>((5/20+(-1))x(-1))(RU)=((-15/20)x(-1))(RU)=
AK> (15/20)(RU)=+1.

    I don't think the RU was intended to be applied after the negative
    multiplier. That's not the way I ever read it. However, I do
    prefer to use it immediately, before adding secondary modifiers.
    Then, of course, the entire, final result is turned into a
    negative value.

AK> I said "Anyone reduced to 0 is more than slowed down." Okay, those with
AK> Battle Fury can remain active down to 3xDTV. Then they keel over dead (see
AK> Battle Fury C).

    I couldn't deal with a rule like that. Once someone hits zero,
    they're in la-la land. They're not dead, but they certainly aren't
    conscious. Based on your preferred methods, and Richard's
    that I feel uncomfortable with such large negative numbers that
    appear to be equivalent to a character's hit points mirrored as a
    DTV, but I do enjoy the C/10 method over C/20. It's worked
    marvelously for me for many years. It gives them just a little bit
    more DTV, but not so much that it gets out of hand and makes the
    characters begin to seem invulnerable. I'm in it or the realism.

Best regards,

   Kurgan                         mailto:Kurgan at Fastmail.fm