DTV

Kurgan Kurgan at FASTMAIL.FM
Sun Feb 1 23:34:28 CET 2004

Hello Alex,

>>   I modified the DTV in the following fashion:
>>   (((C/10* + StB) +1/CEL beyond CEL 4) x-1) (*R.U.)

AK>   Why wait till CEL5 before starting the bonus?

     Several factors. First, because it keeps just anyone from getting
     the bonus, since the bonus is intended to be derived from combat
     experience, which several levels of CEL represent the character
     beginning to understand and employ. Next, I had to choose a
     starting CEL for the bonus to begin, and if I went to low, it
     would devalue it (not to mention the bonus would begin to get
     extravagant when the character began rising in levels), but if I
     went to high, it would be unattainable. As silly as it sounds, I
     actually gave that one a lot of thought before choosing the
     beginning number, and I'm pleased with the way it's turned out.
     :)

     PS. I wasn't an EMT, but I used to be a certified First
     Responder, and I agree how strange the human body can be in its
     apparent contradictory degrees of resiliency and frailty. That
     never ceases to amaze me. I'm old and fat now, and can break a
     bone in my foot just walking across the room too fast, but when I
     was younger, I once actually fell off of a mountain (I'm not
     kidding), and when it was over and I was lying there
     spread-eagle at the bottom, I realized I wasn't injured. Not a
     single broken bone or sprain, just a few scratches. My reaction?
     I busted up laughing, long and hard, and eventually got up and
     hiked home. :) Anyway, translating things like blood loss into
     the game can only benefit it, so long as it remains realistic.

Best regards,

   Kurgan                         mailto:Kurgan at Fastmail.fm