[PnP] Book 1, V2

Larry Kurgan at Fastmail.fm
Sun Dec 19 17:55:43 CET 2004

Hey guys,

    Just downloaded the new version. I've only glanced through it, but
    right away I see that it is far more dependant on the Perilous
    Lands setting, which I know most of you will be thrilled with, but
    for those like myself that don't like that world, it does make
    things a little more difficult to use. Not hugely so, and it's not
    really a problem to work around, but I thought it worth commenting
    on. I'll admit, I was absolutely aghast at seeing slave ownership
    on the Special Events table now. That's definitely getting edited
    out of my copy. :) I know 'slave' is mentioned as a title on the
    Station table, but in that case it's just an example of what that
    station could be interpreted as, if a world has slavery. Seeing a
    table that assumes slavery is the norm, however, and where a
    character can begin the game owning one, is just plain disturbing.

    The halfbreed tables and descriptions are interesting, but I don't
    understand several assumptions given that seem completely
    arbitrary. If the mother was human, you absolutely must have been
    raised as a human? Heh, that leaves my main character of 20 years
    out. He's a halfbreed elf, and his father was human, mother elven,
    and he was raised [mostly] in human society. Oops. :)

    Heck, I've allowed halfbreeds for years, and I always just let the
    story fill in those sorts of details, and dictate what he or she
    could have been taught, etc. All that leaves is balancing out the
    racial traits, which I usually just average. If there's a racial
    ability involved, in most cases it's diminished, but occasionally
    it is completely absent, or even, rarely, fully intact (dominant
    parental gene or something).

    It is kinda fun to envision some of the totally bizarre,
    completely obscene combinations you can come up with by mixing
    listed races. :) First thing that came to mind when looking at the
    table was some big, ginormous Troll and a cute little faerry
    shambling off into the sunset, hand in hand. God, can you imagine
    *those* kids? <Shiver>

    Hmmm. *Now* I understand all those looks I used to get from my
    in-laws. Damn.

    Anywho, this should be a fun read. Thanks, Richard. :)

    And Merry Christmas to all of you knuckleheads!

Best regards,

   Larry                        mailto:Kurgan at Fastmail.fm