Phoenix

David Vance toganni at MSN.COM
Sat Oct 18 06:00:52 CEST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex Koponen" <akoponen at MOSQUITONET.COM>
Subject: Re: Phoenix

>     To improve the game we need to locate, describe and name the problems.
> Then we can figure out how to correct the problems while keeping the
> elegance of the design rather than making patchwork fixes that ultimately
> cause more problems.

And ...

1)  Problems need to be defined and quantified.  "The Magic system sucks" is
too vague (a qualitative criticism.)  "There are problems with these spells
because they give XX benefit with too little cost and have a tendancy to
unbalance the game," gives the designer an opportunity to examine, evaluate,
design and test.

2)  If possible, present a potential fix.  The best criticisms are the ones
that present solutions (or sets of solutions) for discussion.

3)  No thin skins.  We don't all see eye to eye.  Some solutions that one
may think as elegant may turn out to be complete kludge.  Be prepared for
that.  Be passionate, but don't be argumenative or combative.

4)  Throw the bald guy in the corner (me) Oreos from time to time.  I don't
really need them, but they keep me docile and easily placated :P