Phoenix - Skill Mechanism

Alex Koponen akoponen at MOSQUITONET.COM
Fri Oct 17 21:20:46 CEST 2003

RE: Phoenix - Skill MechanismAye, translating the skills is a problem. I was thinking that:
Sufficient resources (example: well equipped shop) could modify EL by up to ?.
Might actually be a multiplier. The well equipped shop being x4 or x5. Other skills having similar multipliers. A  musician might get a combined total of x4 for having learned appropriate melodies (x1) and having a good, though not excellent instrument (x3). Trailing  could have visibility and crowd modifiers, good visibility might grant a x1, empty streets no modifier, crowded street up to x3. Changeable disguises might grant a x1 or x2. Herbalist would get modifiers based on plant availability and season (a herbal garden granting up to x5 in season), perhaps a x1 bonus if have shop for preparing and storing medicines.
    It would probably take rewriting each skill in order to show the appropriate bonuses available. Magic could increase the bonuses.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Choinski, Burton
  To: POWERS-AND-PERILS at geo000.CITG.TUDELFT.NL
  Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 9:18 AM
  Subject: Re: Phoenix - Skill Mechanism

  || One possibility for a combat/magic/skill mechanism for P&P
  || is to use the
  || Combat Table.
  || OCV-DCV or MEL-? or 0 plus or minus situational modifiers
  || (particularly
  || time) determines which line to use. Note that many skills (example
  || musician) do not allow extra time.

  Problem is, the effect of EL in combat is nearly minimal (EL x 2 subtracted from roll) as compared to the "other" skills (usually EL x 10 for most skills, with others at a percentile level.

  Remember 'EL 4' in a weapon is supposedly the same as a EL 40 skill (if "or 80").  If you go from EL5 to EL5 in a weapon you see a gain of 2% in combat, where as other skills see a 10% gain.

  Burton Choinski