Phoenix

Choinski, Burton Burton.Choinski at MATRIXONE.COM
Thu Oct 16 18:01:15 CEST 2003

|| Where am I going with this?  Well, the conversation
|| recently has invloved a P&P 2nd Edition, right?  I
|| think P&P could be a marketable product if the magic
|| system could be flushed out and balanced, and if the
|| combat system is retained (with perhaps a few tweeks
|| here and there). In any case, good luck, and I'll be
|| watching, and waiting to see what comes out of the
|| whoe project.

I partially agree in that while the spell set was limited, it also had a lot
of "flavor" that should be retained.

That said, it was not easy to create new spells.  And the ones that existed
seemed to have nearly arbitrary associations between cost to cast and their
effects (Quarrels is a big one here).

What is needed is some sort of "spell creation toolkit" that allows you to
create new spells.  I'm not saying this should be generally used by players,
or perhaps not even used by the GM.  For example, using Champions you can
create a "spell" of given effects, and as a result you will know the "mana"
cost involved, along with a "cost to learn" and any other attributes.  The
toolkit could be made a part of the general rules (at the end of the new
Book 2), with various rules for spell crafting by players.  Created spells
should be grossly ineffecient or dangerous as compared to the "pre-made"
ones.  A player may be able to refine his new spell (shaving off mana cost,
cost to learn, or any MDV adds ("blow-up bonus" :) over game time with
research rolls.

The presence of the toolkit will allow for an immense possibility of spells.
If the various "flavors" can be hooked in as well (Chaos vs Law vs Balance
vs Elder, etc), all the better.

Burton Choinski
Principal Software Engineer, Quality Engineering
email: burton.choinski at matrixone.com

phone: 978-322-2135
fax  : 978-452-5764

MatrixOne, Inc.
Two Executive Drive
Chelmsford, Ma 01824
www.matrixone.com

The First in Intelligent Collaborative Commerce