Interesting find.

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Fri Mar 14 04:49:03 CET 2003

At 09:01 AM 3/13/03 -0800, you wrote:
>--- Adaen of Bridgewater <adaen at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
>> I would be interested in hearing people's impression
>> of these and their thoughts on the P&P ruleset in
>> comparison.
>
>Since you mentioned Runequest.... I recently came
>across a copy of Chaosiums Basic Roleplaying system
>which is the core of the Runequest system. I also got
>a copy of Worlds of Wonder which was a set of 3 world
>books for use with BRPS. The Magic World supplement
>has impressed me as a realistic, rules lite fantasy
>game. It does have classes but no levels and the
>classes aren't as restricted as they are in D&D. I
>have talked my group into giving it a try and should
>start a game in the next few weeks.

I like the WW stuff.  The basic Rpg above also is a good system.  I remember
it was a TINY TINY little booklet at a dealers room one time and I picked it
up and scanned it.  I think a friend has a copy now.  This was like a brown
paper version so you may have one newer and actually in gloss or something :)

>As I get older, I find that incrediably complex
>roleplaying games don't hold the same appeal to me
>that they did when I was younger. I have P&P but have
>never played it as I can't seem to figure out how to
>run the system smoothly.

As I get older I tend to be more plot and character oriented rather than dice
and rule oriented and away from combat (hack and slashing).  This is
normal for most seasoned gamers/GMs though.  I figure a GM can
use the rules he/she wants and theres no lawyer that will say much if
you have a good player set that understands things.

The only time I had to deal with a rules lawyer was one guy in the '80s in
our normal hobby shop group. He would argue for hours on rules in fantasy
and other systems like SFB and Battletech (were his 2 favs he  loved to
argue about).