Cough cough..dust in here

Albert Sales drite_mi at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jun 6 03:41:52 CEST 2003

Another way to limit them is to put a cap on study, which is addressed in the rules. With a slight change, we can create a factor limiting study days to NATIVE + (Multiplier x 2). The best way to address skill or magic studies through this is to apply the Intelligence or Will study limit.
   On the side, what I have done to deter my players from this is to have the effectiveness of study be reduced by level. An EL 4 skill, for example, gains 1 EP per 40 hours (5 days) of study. If the skill is "or 80", I use one hour per EL to gain an EP. My games are usually fast-paced enough to have players not want to sit-out for the time, but these work well for me.
   My wife came up with an additional limit. She restricts ELs from study to CEL or MEL in weapons or spells. This works, as well. Another consideration is the limited effect of those levels. If a player sits out one adventure for 30 EP of study (one month), they have most likely fallen behind the group. Also, they have gained no experience or character points. Study is not worth it, so I will usually ignore that fact that some players want to have characters spend rediculous amounts of time in study. They are the ones who suffer.

Tim Hotmail <Melnemara at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
The best answer to the sit and study characters is to allow them to, but to have things going on in the game that they miss out on or something interrupts them.

The costs alone make a person go out and at least earn a living.  What other ideas do you have?
----- Original Message -----
From: Adaen of Bridgewater
To: POWERS-AND-PERILS at GEO.CITG.TUDELFT.NL
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2003 9:52 PM
Subject: Re: Cough cough..dust in here

Most definitely...ask away. I use mostly hybrid systems so I won't be able to answer you directly based off of P&P mechanics....but I *am* interested in the concept. What have at ye!??

Adaen

Scott Adams wrote:
List has gone quiet....if you guys want I can always come up with things to
ask
...silly..stupid...
moronic things to get activity :)
<snip>
Want me to continue with stupid questions? :)