Shield rules

Curt curt.koenig at BTINTERNET.COM
Thu Dec 26 19:38:47 CET 2002

But learning is not just planning something, and then proving that it works.
If you raise your arm, that just happens to have a shield on it, in time to
block a stone being thrown at your head, it takes a pretty dense being not
to realize that the reflex they just used might not be used in a less random
way.

The experience and expertise system used here is fairly unique, and one of
the main problems peopole have with it.  traking expertise for each skill
does lead to book-keeping.  But it adds a relatively simple layer of
realism.  Instead of trying to track each swing, I let the dice do that for
me.  A shield hit, which occurs about 50% of the time, is just that; a use
of a shield defensively.  If the shield is not ready, as in a surprise
round, the shield hit becomes a normal hit.

What about the Tower shield?  That question was asked.  The skill in using a
tower shield, not to mention the strength needed to use it effectively, is
fighting around it as much as hiding behind it.  If you wanted to build a
"Hide behind wall while fighting" skill, it would be the same thing.  The
skill of still fighting, but using the wall (non-mobile) to you advantage or
your opponents disadvantage.

Just my thoughts...

CLK