Two Weapons / Multiple Attack

Matijs van Zuijlen Matijs.van.Zuijlen at XS4ALL.NL
Wed Apr 3 17:11:05 CEST 2002

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 09:45:56AM +0200, Brandon Stubbs wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Apr 2002 18:18:32 +0200, Matijs van Zuijlen
> <Matijs.van.Zuijlen at XS4ALL.NL> wrote:
>
> >I'm confused here. Is the 12 coming from the number of seconds per
> >turn? That would seem to be the case, given your crossbow formula.
> >Still, I don't see why you would divide by the number of seconds per
> >turn to get the number of shots per turn (Since I understand from your
> >later post that you mean turn when you say round). I just don't see the
> >rationale behind the formula.
>
> I play my tactical turns different than what I suppose most people
> understand it. I base each attack not on one phase(3 seconds) but on a Turn
> (12 seconds). This is only logical in that there is time for small rests in
> between attacks otherwise all would collaspe after only 2 or 3 minutes of
> fighting. For those of you who have fought you know what I mean. Even in
> the best of shape it's exausting to fight. There has to be lulls.
> Phase 1: Magic is begun(3 sec's of words to gather mana), all combatants
> began a little stragegy for next attack and gather strength.
> Phase 2: Archer aims and fires. All combatants finish stratgy. Dodging
> applies as movement.
> Phase 3: Magic effect. Dodging magic applies. Combatants move into fighting
> positions or flee.
> Phase 4: Melee, dodge, fleeing or other movement depending on strategy.
>
> That's the logic I apply to tactical turns. I try to make it as real as
> possible.

Yes, that's quite different from the 'standard' method, and expains the
rounds/phases/turns confusion. I can see your point about the needed
rest. I don't know how we survive those goblin hordes...

> >Another thing: How do you arrive at 1 attack every 3 turns for the worst
> >case. Just using the formula gives (-27-1-1)/12 = -2. That's not 1/3. So
> >I'm missing something here.
> >
> >Please enlighten me :).
>
> I round up. Excel's roundup formula counts -2.4166 as 3, as do I. I suppose
> if I was nice I'd round the other way, but I rather enjoy seeing a fumbling
> greeny terrified. :-) JK

I see, so you basically convert negative numbers to reciprocals, as in
-3 -> one per three phases, -4 -> one per four phases (or turns or
whatever). I missed that step.

> Thanks for your reply. It's kind of fun hearing everyones ideas.

You're welcome of course. I think this is a very interesting subject,
especially after seeing Legolas fire those rounds in LOTR.

--
Matijs